Saturday, November 21, 2009

chocolate

Dad and I shared a Symphony bar last night... delicious caramellyness flavored chocolate.

I find myself thinking, philosophically, too much for my own good. Then it's hard for me to keep my mouth shut because I want to share all my discoveries with others.

I am very surprised about the immaturity of many Christians; they act as though Christianity is about what clothes you wear and what movies you watch and what words you don't say... I think if that's what you base the "strength" of your Christianity off of, then something is seriously and dangerously wrong. I see a lot of this in the conservative Christian homeschooling movement, where things like modesty become very legalistic, and by our clothing we judge others! Yes, it is very easy to take things like that and make them a cult, where instead we are worshipping little idolatrous doctrines instead of the Father.

Yes, this is something I am very adamant about, I must admit. As you can probably tell. :)

I have a feeling that many of the people I know would not like the direction I am taking this; however, it is not for me to hold back my thoughts simply because I know I might lose respect from others. If I do lose respect, it is respect from people who I do not care to hold respect with.

Esh, time runs short. I must get my coffee and start warming up my voice. A local musician is coming over to jam and see if we can put together some jazz songs, with him as the guitarist and I as the singer.

Happy Thanksgiving you all!!

3 comments:

  1. But a Christian should also be known by how he/she acts, talks, dresses, etc.
    Proverbs says "Even a child is known by his doings."
    And reading James chapter 2 - seems also that our actions are supposed to reflect our Christianity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, you'd never lose MY respect over something like this. I think I see what you're saying, but I also agree with Earwen. Sometimes you can tell a person by their appearance.
    However, I see that what you're saying is that appearance isn't what makes you a Christian; dressing, reading the Bible, going to Church, right?
    And it's good to be adamant! As long as what you're being adamant about is good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're spot on here actually -- legalism on the wrong issues is really at its root a sign of immaturity in the faith; Paul says as much in Romans 14-15. Having rules on dress, speech, etc. are good for the "young" Christian... and the mature Christian should be sensitive about how their speech and dress and such can have an effect on others. But it takes a mature Christian to recognize those situations (of which there are many in this world) wherein making exceptions to culturally accepted norms of modesty (most of which have little or nothing to do with the Bible!) is not only acceptable but necessary to be able to communicate the truth of the gospel to people in this fallen world.

    In my view, the only thing a Christian ought to be legalistic about is to love God with all one's heart, mind, and strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself. If we truly think through these commands and take them to heart, we can't help but place ourselves well within the Spirit of the law. Our looks may say something about us but not 1/100 as much as our actions when it comes to reveal the content of our hearts. I don't think you'll need two guesses to say which goes further to communicate the gospel to one who doesn't know God. :)

    Love your blog, keep thinking, writing and creating! -adam :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to posting a comment on my blog; I thank you for clicking here and I'm sure we will be fast friends if we aren't already, since I love people who comment. But I don't really like people who nit-pick my blog. That tends to get nowhere with me except to make me first laugh, then blush, and finally growl. Not to mention it doesn't make the nit-picker look particulary good either. However, if you would really like to nitpick, email me at cierrawrites@gmail.com. I may or may not reply, but I'll always love you since you commented anyway. Alright, comment away!