Wednesday, September 16, 2009

last night, i found in my closet

a great clay mask of great proportions, screaming out at me like Edward Munch's painting; the eyes were hollow and the ochre paint was flaked. It seemed to me very ancient in manner, almost gargoylish, or perhaps even Aztecian. Would it speak to me, I wondered. It did not, I put it back in the closet after ooh-ing and ahh-ing over it for a half hour.

It is not there anymore.

I don't even have a closet.

I made that all up.

Actually last night, after drinking too much caffeine with Fabi down at the Forza Cafe, I came home and wrote and wrote and wrote. Then I tried to sleep. A moth kept fluttering against the window and the paper on the unfinished wall. Sleeping wasn't working, so I turned on the light just in time to see a massive Hobo spider, spatulate, dark brown and horribly frightening (way more so than the fake mask) standing in the corner next to a toy, facing my bed, probably waiting until I was asleep so it could crawl it's swarming hairy legs up and onto the bed and over the lump in the covers, and onto my pillow, and down the front of my pajamas to BITE ME! Possibly also calling an army of Hobo spiders to swarm over the bed and eat my skin.

So I got my journal out and wrote and wrote and wrote, not about spiders, but about some sad things that happened lately, then I drew a map of consciousness, being completely and totally honest about what my subconscious was thinking about OTHER than that nasty creepidy thing on the floor.

Then, when the paper was full and my throat still twisty and dry from even the thought of that spider, I lay down and pulled the covers over my head and curled against the extra pillow, and I pretended that I was all safe in my bed with my husband (the extra pillow) there. And my husband will never let spiders get to me.

And I hid there until I fell asleep.

That is what happened. No mask, just me and a spider.

I think I was very brave.

THE END.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, this is great. I love it. Surreal, stream-of-consciousness post. You should be a horror writer. You could have a recurring theme of Hobo spiders.
    Just don't let them into your dreams. I had a dream once where I answered the door and there was a huge hobo spider there in overalls and a ratty bowler cap, holding a handkerchief tied to a stick that contained his few belongings. He wondered if I had any Hobo beans he could eat. I sent him away.
    Anyway, sorry for telling you that. And if he comes to your door, DON'T LET HIM IN!
    Ahem. Good post.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... i have to be careful about caffeine...
    not because i'm afraid of the honesties that come of the artistic frame of mind into which it puts me, but because i'm just always cranky coming down off of it, and may or may not have the freedom in which to nurse myself openmindedly either in downward graduated fixes or just all at once without biting off the heads of innocent bystanders.
    still, we should drink too much caffeine together sometime soon... whiles i still cans, because i don't have /more/ to tie me down...

    O, and i still wish that that spider were dead! di!

    but i am so happy for you about your honest revelations... i wish that i could still do that... perhaps i will drink coffee and find out, sometime.
    perhaps tomorrow...~`

    ReplyDelete
  3. *eewwww*
    I hate spiders!
    *nasty*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually had a Brown Recluse land on my HEAD a few months ago.
    It was SO freaky, I screamed my head off, then killed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, that is darling!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to posting a comment on my blog; I thank you for clicking here and I'm sure we will be fast friends if we aren't already, since I love people who comment. But I don't really like people who nit-pick my blog. That tends to get nowhere with me except to make me first laugh, then blush, and finally growl. Not to mention it doesn't make the nit-picker look particulary good either. However, if you would really like to nitpick, email me at cierrawrites@gmail.com. I may or may not reply, but I'll always love you since you commented anyway. Alright, comment away!