Thursday, September 3, 2009

life is here

...to be lived, not to be dragged out dully from day to day in some soggy mass where you can only think about the next meal or the next appointment or the next time your favorite movie star gets interviewed. No, you should creatively fill your time between those "special events" so your life is filled.

The secret of patience: do something else in the meantime.

Do it.

Do things.

Don't laze about all day obsessing over pointless things.

Now, by lazy, I don't mean idle. Being "idly creative" is often the best thing you can do. I love being idle... physically. What's important is not that I'm being still, but the fact that while my body is idle I am filling myself up with sensory experiences, I am thinking absently and allowing my brain (in more technical, horrible terms) to drift into alpha wave mode where big, slow, creative thoughts dwell. Also known as daydreaming. Creative daydreaming, not daydreaming about things that will never happen, like marrying your celebrity idol.

When you are normally going about your day, you are not in alpha wave mode. You are in beta wave mode. Not cool. You are running about, thinking about this and that. Slow down. Close your eyes... imagine your brain waves slowing with your breath. And then, carefully, sweetly, drift into absent-minded thinking, letting your Muse go where she wishes.

Live life artfully, not going from activity to activity. If you watch a movie, don't just do it to waste time. Enjoy it idly, and then go to the Page and write all about it and what you could learn from it, and why this scene means so much to you, and why that scene seemed crooked, and blah blah, this and that, all of it. Then once you have exhausted yourself of that movie, dwell on it no longer.

Dwell on your life. Idly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to posting a comment on my blog; I thank you for clicking here and I'm sure we will be fast friends if we aren't already, since I love people who comment. But I don't really like people who nit-pick my blog. That tends to get nowhere with me except to make me first laugh, then blush, and finally growl. Not to mention it doesn't make the nit-picker look particulary good either. However, if you would really like to nitpick, email me at cierrawrites@gmail.com. I may or may not reply, but I'll always love you since you commented anyway. Alright, comment away!