Last night, through exercises in "The Sound of Paper" by Ms. Julia Cameron, I made a list of what I thought of God in my childhood, and what kind of God I would like. I was not doing this in any sort of blasphemous way at all. Here is what I wrote, longhand, in my notebook, honest as myself:
Childhood God:
1. Wrathful
2. Cranky
3. Jealous
4. Up in the Sky
5. Demanding Obedience
6. Judgmental
7. Boring
8. Strict
9. Stuck "way back then"
10. Picky
God I Would Like:
1. Modern
2. Forgiving
3. Creative
4. Charismatic
5. Extravagant
6. Down here with me
7. Encouraging me in my pursuits
8. Willing to share secrets
9. Stylish
10. Knows me totally and likes me
Like I said, don't get mad at me for being "blasphemous"... I needed to know what false misconceptions I have about God, and I find that so many are wrong! I still have such a hard time shaking those. I want the God that King David had, not a God that is stereotypically "middle-class American Christian". I want a Spiritual God, not a Stern, Male God.
HE MADE ME CREATIVE.
HE LIKES ME CREATIVE.
I LIKE MYSELF CREATIVE.
I LIKE HIM.
HE LIKES ME.
HE HAS CREATED ME IN HIS IMAGE,
TO WRITE.
WRITING, THEREFORE,
IS A SPIRITUAL ACT,
THE ACT OF PUTTING YOUR SPIRITUAL BEING,
WITH ALL IT'S BELIEFS,
ON PAPER.
Thursday, August 13, 2009
6 comments:
Welcome to posting a comment on my blog; I thank you for clicking here and I'm sure we will be fast friends if we aren't already, since I love people who comment. But I don't really like people who nit-pick my blog. That tends to get nowhere with me except to make me first laugh, then blush, and finally growl. Not to mention it doesn't make the nit-picker look particulary good either. However, if you would really like to nitpick, email me at cierrawrites@gmail.com. I may or may not reply, but I'll always love you since you commented anyway. Alright, comment away!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


That's interesting!
ReplyDeleteBut your words aren't God-breathed, therefore not 'divine.'
What exactly does 'I am the gate' means?
ReplyDeleteGod says 'nobody comes to the father but through me' so that would sort of make Him the gate.
I'm sorry, Mirriam, thank you for letting me know that what I wrote was not theologically right. You will be relieved to know that that's not what I meant... as you can see I've changed my wording, and my rewritten blog is truly what I meant to say.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post.
ReplyDeleteTheological, theological! Pshhhh, Cierra. You as a writer should know there are ways every phrase can mean a hundred different things. "I am the gate"; okay, so this was a typo but you might be the gate to unbelievers, a gate to let God's love through. I kinda like that.
Anyway, just saying that 'theology' is not some sort of strict super-secret thing that some people have a handle on and others don't. :D
Thanks, Cierra!!!
ReplyDeleteCool.
"Middle-Class American Christian"
ReplyDeleteThis is an excellent term for the stereo-typical, self-righteous Christians knowing nothing of true Christ-like, early-church, spiritual Christianity.
I love the post. I understand the point is not to be theologically exact, but to express feelings of how your spiritual perception has changed since you were a child. Excellent read.